After the Portuguese had won their rule in Goa the warning from Muslim and Maratha rulers went on. To protect themselves, the Portuguese built the Chapora fort in 1617. However, unlike the Aguada fort, this fort did not remain unconquered and the Portuguese troops surrendered to the Maratha ruler, Sambhaj in 1684. The locals were not too pleased with this and had a number of conflicts with the Marathas and finally in 1717, the Marathas withdrew their force and the Portuguese again took over and rebuilt and added to the fort. The new structure was equipped with underground tunnels that ensured a safe getaway in case of an emergency. This idea although good didn't stop it from being invaded again and in 1739 the Marathas captured the Chapora fort again. However, two years later, in 1941, the Portuguese regained Chapora when the northern taluka of Pednem was handed over to them. However, in 1892 the Portuguese completely abandoned it and today only ruins remain.
Ancestral Goa situated at Laoulim, 10-km from Margao, ancestral Goa is a mock up village dating Back a century. Built in a green hillside, a guided trek takes one down the Goan memory lane. Amidst a variety of rare wild flowers and mushrooms, a variety of exquisite insects and mushrooms and birds are also sighted. A species of frog, now almost extinct, which was once a Goan delicacy, might also hop out along the trail.And while one walks around one can also visit a national landmark, 'Natural Harmony' - the longest laterite monolithic sculpture that carved its way to fame in the Limca book of records. One can also boogey on a giant footstep, 'Big Foot' - Goa's major designer dance floor. Fanking this is the handicrafts fair displaying local and folk arts.
Fort Aguada is strategically situated at the estuary of the river Mandovi and was constructed in 1612 as a guard against invasions from the Dutch and the Marathas. The walls of the fort are 5 m high and 1.3 m wide. It is of little surprise then, that this remains the only fort that was not conquered by any invaders during the 450 year long rule of the Portuguese empire. "Agua" in Portuguese means water, thus the fort derived its name "Aguada" to denote a place where water is accumulated. The area around the fort housed a large well and a number of springs that provided fresh drinking water to voyagers that arrived by ship. An interesting feature in the majestic fort is a 13 m high lighthouse built in 1864, which initially used an oil lamp to show seafarers the way. It was later renovated and modernised in 1976. A one time the lighthouse was home to a gigantic bell that was retrieved from amongst the ruins of the St. Augustus monastery in Old Goa. However, the bell has now been moved to the Our Lady of Immaculate Conception church at Panaji.